Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

An owner of a rental property has a tenant whom lives on the

Customer Question

an owner of a rental property has a tenant whom lives on the 2nd floor of a walk up building. the tenant is having knee problems and is 50+. outside they use a walker and their partner helps them up the stairs. They just resigned a new lease. you know
the question. What advice can you give to the owner to best protect against a potential suit? should they advise the insurance company? put in security cameras on steps? have tenant sign affidavit that they are able to go up steps? should they be offered another
apt on the first floor that is smaller but is more in rent? there are still outside steps to content with.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

As long as the premises themselves are in good repair and in compliance with the building codes, you are not responsible if she falls as a result of her condition. You only have liability for negligence or failing to maintain the premises. However, I would make the offer of the unit on the first floor. That way if there is later an issue, the fact that they could have a unit that involved less stairs will work to your advantage.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If my answer was particularly helpful you can pay a bonus.