Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

My landlord told me that my rental insurance is not

Customer Question

My landlord told me that my rental insurance is not adequate. There is a clause in the lease agreement that states: "Property Insurance. Landlord and Tenant shall each be responsible to maintain appropraite insurance for their respective interests in the
Premises and property located on the premises." I do have a rental policy, but she said that it was not adequate. There is no clause that states what the "adequate" amount of insuance I must carry. It just states "appropriate insurance". Am I obligated to
increase my rental insurance? The home does have a pool.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for requesting me. I am sorry - I did not see your question until now. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, there is no requirement to increase rental insurance. Or at least, arguably there is not. This goes to the same answer - ambiguous language and the Court's fair interpretation of it.

The statutes do not define what "adequate" means. Provided that the insurance would cover a reasonable, standard amount in policy for such a matter, then arguably, this is adequate. However, final answer is that of the Judge.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!