barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My lawyer rents to a friend. I had a dog and my landlord

Customer Question

My lawyer rents to a friend. I had a dog and my landlord told me that their was a problem with me having a dog. I had to have my dog put down, because she said i couldn't keep my dog because her other tenant which is her best friend had an allergy. Now she has a dog that my landlord didn't even bring to my attention. Yes my son had allergies at the time too but he was under medication too. The neighbor and my landlord both have not disclosed that the neigbhorhood has this dog. Should i renew my lease in December or move on. Or do I have a lawsuit now.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Did the landlord have a restriction in your lease about having a dog?

.

Or did they just tell you to get rid of the dog?

.

And you then agreed to remove the dog from the property?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She stated the animals that we reported on the lease. And yes i let her know that my son was having extermination at the time so i had the dog for a couple of days. But when she learned that the dog was here she told me that the dog had to go immediately because the tenant who she claims is her sister, is not biologically her sister. Who i also found out reports back to her about me and my family doings is not her real sister now has a dog which she does not even realize that i know the dog or puppy is there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we moved in we had a cat on the lease. A female cat. My son asked me could i take his dog for a couple of weeks. So i agreed. I for a couple of days. But i informed my landlord that my son was going through extermination and that i would keep the dog for a couple of days. She informed me that i could keep her for a few days but since the tenant upstairs was having allergic reactions i would have go get hid of the dog within a few days i informed her that i would try my best. but my youngest son was also allergic and this was a family pet i would do my best. since i could not come up with an alternative family i had too put our family pet of five years down. this not only devastated my kids but me. and now i find out that our neighbor upstairs has a puppy but is her best friend hurts my heart. My kids are me everything even if they are grown.This dog was our family. To think that now she can get and adopt her own family hurts. what can i do.

Ok, unfortunately, if your specific lease didn't allow dogs then legally she could force you to remove it or consider it a breach of the lease and evict.

.

However, while it may be unfair, there is nothing that would prevent the landlord from allowing the "friend" to have a dog if she wanted to. There is no law that says that all tenants have to have leases that state the exact same rights in them. The landlord can allow one tenant to have a pet while denying another as they set the pet rules.

.

So I am sorry, but I don't see any violation of the law here that would give you grounds to sue the landlord for enforcing your lease terms and making you get rid of the dog.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks