barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I'm a tenant. When my laundry was done, there was a puddle

Customer Question

Hello
I'm a tenant.
When my laundry was done, there was a puddle of water outside of my condo to the hallway.
I didn't noticed because there was no overflow inside.
Is this my negligence?
Shirley
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Was this a washer that was installed by you or it it the landlord's washer?

.

Was there any damage other than just the puddle?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The washer machine was installed by the owner.
The damage was pretty big.
Because of the puddle, the common area (hallway) got wet and it sank threw it that the garage below had a puddle.
And the walls on the hallway got wet, including the wall right behind where the washing machine is.

Ok, if you didn't install the washer, then any leak wouldn't be your fault unless you were aware of it and then failed to notify the owner of the problem so they could repair it. The owner is responsible for maintaining their property and making sure that all appliances are functioning properly.

.

So since you had nothing to do with the leak, and were using the washer normally, you aren't liable here..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
without warranty and Landlord will not maintain, repair, or replace washer"
If this is what my contract says, is it still my responsibility to pay for all the repair?
Although, as proof of weak pipes, week after we moved in the pipe that connects to sink had a problem.

That wouldn't necessarily apply to a negligent installation if the leak came from the water line going into the washer. The landlord is just saying that he is providing the washer "as is" and if it breaks he won't repair it. But that still wouldn't make you liable if you were using it normally and it started leaking as that is his problem to deal with. He could refuse to repair it or provide a new one, but any damage is his responsibility.

.

.

thanks