Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I am currently renting a townhouse. month of May and June, I

Customer Question

I am currently renting a townhouse. For the month of May and June, I had an electric bill over $300. For July, it was $560. I contacted the property management company, they sent a man out to look at the a/c unit and diagnosed the problem, which they have yet to fix. I then get August bill for over $400. At this point, I am struggling to keep the electricity paid, so struggling to keep the rent caught up. The late fees are $30 on the 4th and $10/day for everyday that we are late. I have tried to communicate with them, to fix the unit, and have offered to show them proof of the bills. I asked if they could give me some sort of a break on the late fees, since they refuse to fix the issue. At this point, I am just trying to avoid an eviction, and do not know what my options are. Can someone help me with this, PLEASE?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You have a few options here emanating from landlord failure to repair resulting in exorbinant charges and late fees.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Beyond negotiating and withholding rent until issue resolved, you may go on offensive and file a claim against landlord in court.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

That may prompt repair and rent adjustment on arrears. It may also prompt settlement as landlord wont want to incur lost time and legal fees. Courts dont evict in these situations but direct repair and make decision on the rent.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

checking in

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate the answer positively.