Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

All criteria to rent in Philadelphia otherwise satisfied, I

Customer Question

All criteria to rent in Philadelphia otherwise satisfied, I have a 5th degree felony relating to controlled substances; crime committed 10/2012. Rejected. Can I object to this denial. Will this likely be a reason for denial in every attempt to rent?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Rejected - for what? You never explained what you are actually applying for. Can you please give me a little more information as to the background?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Application to rent declined due to credit score. The felony I described was adjudicated as a Misdemeanor.On said credit report was one unpaid returned check from 2012. I paid the claim but it doesn't show now.I do not believe I have any recourse with the present issue, but I must know of these resolutions such that a future application would not reasonably be subject to declination
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Sorry, but there is no immediate recourse. A landlord is "allowed to discriminate" when it comes to credit score or criminal history. This means even if you have a criminal history, the landlord can decide to reject the application. And/or, if your credit score is considered low, the landlord can reject it as well (the landlord can set their own minimum requirements for credit scores for applicants).

There is no "right" to rent. As long as the landlord is not discriminating due to race, religion, creed, etc, then they can reject an application based on credit score or criminal history, whatever it is.

Other landlords may not be so picky - this one may have simply had very high standards. But there is no way to "ensure" that a rental application would not be rejected in the end, if the landlord has certain criteria.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!