Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Please help! Today I received a TEXT MESSAGE from my

Customer Question

Please help! Today I received a TEXT MESSAGE from my landlord's daughter, saying that I need to move in 25 days because they received a notice from the city (apparently the place I'm renting is an illegal back house). I asked for a copy of the notice, and they refused, saying they are going to get a letter of eviction from the city. I paid a full years rent in advance up to April 2016! (This is what landlord required to rent the place to me & i was too dumb at the time to realize that was also illegal. What are my legal rights? I can't find a new place in 25 days. Ill have to rent a storage unit and stay in a hotel until i find something else. What about all the money i already paid him? Wasn't it wrong for him to charge me rent in the first place if this is not a legal rental? I am in the city of Tujunga in Los Angeles, 91042. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. The amount of rent i paid in advance is about $8500. I have receipts and my lease agreement. Am i entitled to moving expenses?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually just checked the Los Angeles Department of building and safety website. Although i can not print out the official notice to vacate, it says right out: The building or premises is Substandard due to illegal occupancy. This assures me that i can probably go down to the office myself and get a copy. My question remains: At what point do i leave? And what are my legal and financial rights?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

At what point do i leave?

Response 1: When the City says that you must leave. So, while you are at the City getting a copy of the notice, ask the City when you must vacate the premises.

And what are my legal and financial rights?

Response 2: The Landlord MUST refund all rent paid and pay for your relocation costs. The City may have additional remedies for you. So, ask while you are there picking up a copy of the notice. The site below also has additional useful information:

http://tenanthub.com/rights-during-tenancy/illegal-rental-units-and-apartments-in-california/

If the Landlord refuses to refund rent paid and pay for relocation costs, you can file lawsuit for your damages.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp.htm