Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was evicted from my apartment in DC. I was under a one

Customer Question

I was evicted from my apartment in DC. I was under a one year lease agreement and the lease was terminated before the lease termination date. The reason for eviction was communicated as "owner intends to move back in to apartment". However, I got a notice that the owner was selling the proper instead, which doesn't seem to be a legal reason for eviction in DC when under a lease agreement. Is this worth pursuing in court? Could I get some sort of financial compensation for the unexpected hardship (having to move before I was expecting to) or cover moving fees? Thanks!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Whether the onwer was moving back in or whether the property was being sold is irrelevant when you have an existing lease. The lease can only be terminated if you breached the terms of the lease. The whole pruspise of a lease is stability and certaintiy. You know when you are going to move out. Your rent cannot be raised, and you cannot be force to move out if you have not breached the lease.

Response: Yes, it is worth pursuing. You are entitled to compensation for relocation costs including any difference in your rent for the remaining term of your lease. If you rented a new apartment for $200.00 more than your previous apartment BEFORE the expiration of the lease and even if you would have rented a new place at a higher rent, the rent would not have started earlier--the higher rent would have started AFTER the expiration of your lease. So, the Landlord should be forced to pay the difference for the duration of your lease.

You can obtain complaint forms at your local Courthouse in the Clerk's Office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. I agree that the purpose of a lease is stability and certainty hence my dissatisfaction with the situation.The lease is a very lengthy, complex document. Breaching the lease was never provided as a reason for termination. The reason provided was that the owner was moving back into the place (which turned out to be not the reason anyway as he sold). Is there the possibility that the lease agreement has some clauses allowing for this situation (for example, "the landlord may request the tenant to move out at any time for any reason as long as the landlord provides a 60 day notice")? And if so would those kinds of provisions hold in court?

Is there the possibility that the lease agreement has some clauses allowing for this situation (for example, "the landlord may request the tenant to move out at any time for any reason as long as the landlord provides a 60 day notice")?

Response 1: I seriously doubt it.

And if so would those kinds of provisions hold in court?

Response 2: The clause would not be enforceable because it defeats the whole purpose of a lease: stability and certainty.