Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

If a tenant vacates the rented apartment, removes all

Customer Question

if a tenant vacates the rented apartment, removes all belongings, leaves key on table, and leaves door wide open, all night, is landlord required to allow tenant back in apartment
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

In order to reclaim the premises on the basis of abandonment, the tenant needs to be gone for longer than a night. So, unless you have a court ordered writ of possession, the tenant is still entitled to possession of the leased premises for the remainder of the lease term.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.