MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

Rent payment are due to my landlord by the 3rd of each

Customer Question

Rent payment are due to my landlord by the 3rd of each month. If the 3rd should fall on a weekend, or any other day they would not have normal operations, the outside door of that building is supposed to remain unlocked until 12:midnight on the 3rd. The 3rd of Oct. fell on a Saturday. I tried to drop my check off at 5:15 PM and the door was locked. I immediately called the landlord's rental office to notify them that the door was locked and we were leaving out-of-town, to be back late Sun. evening. I included my telephone number and asked them to call me if there should be any problem with this. I received no phone calls or messages.
Mon. AM, I leave for work at 7:30 AM to get to my place of employment. The rental office does not open until 8:00 AM. I placed my check in the rental drop-off box Mon. after work, approx. 4:30 PM. When I got to my unit, there was a note stating my rent was late, and they were charging me a $50.00 late fee, as well as an additional $2.00 for Monday.
I again called the office explaining what had occurred. I was told that the individual who handles the rental payments would be out until Wed. 10/7/15 and to call back then. I did this. I was told that, yes, she realized that the door was locked, so she extended the due date to Sun. 10/4. The office is not open on Sundays, and I received no message or phone call that the payment could be dropped off until midnight 10/4. She also stated that she had been working in that office on Sunday. Therefore, she should already have listened to the message I had left Sat. evening. And, still, she did nothing.
Can this be done? The office was not open the day that it should have been, and it was open on a day when it should not have been, yet she did not bother to contact me or
to notify me of this information. Can this be done?
I could just swallow this and pay the extra rent, it really isn't the issue of money. The issue is, I diligently contacted them, left my number, told them to call me if there was a problem
and they did nothing!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I look forward to being able to answer your questions today.

When you refer to "she", is "she" the landlord or someone else? What was their response when you told them that you had called and left a message?