How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney-Expert Your Own Question
Attorney-Expert, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 1953
Experience:  Twelve years of computer engineering, mediation and the law certifies me for dispute resolution and litigation questions
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Attorney-Expert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have verbally asked a year that some repairs be made, and

Customer Question

I have verbally asked for over a year that some repairs be made, and put part of the repairs in writing 7 weeks ago he still has only done a couple of the repairs, and when I asked him why he has not finished them he said because you are Not a priority to me if you don't like it move. I already sued them once for this and other things, yet they raised my rent up $100 what should I do now I am dying and he knows it would be hard for me to move
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Attorney-Expert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I want to make sure you receive excellent service today.

First, let me say that I am terribly sorry to hear that you are in this situation. It is a shame when a landlord feels like they can do something without legitimacy, especially when that action is quite frankly wrong. As for what to do, this depends entirely on on the nature of the repairs. If a landlord hasn't fixed a serious problem (something that would make this location "uninhabitable") and you have sent numerous repair requests, then you can do the following:

1) Pay for someone to come repair the problem (or repair it yourself) and then sue the landlord for the difference to deduct the cost from your rent.

2) Sue the landlord for the difference between the rent you are paying (make sure to keep paying it) and the value of the defective premises (what you should be paying with all of the problems)

3) Call state or local building or health inspectors and report the issues to them

4) Withhold rent until the issues are fixed (this gets a bit tricky, as technically they can have you evicted for breach of contract, and you would have to prove that they in fact breached first. This is not a great option to try. If you do, however, you need to put the rent in a special escrow account, and follow all the local rules applicable to this)

5) Move out and claim that the landlord was in breach of the contract first (I realize you do not want to do this, I just wanted to let you know all of the options)

For any of these to work, however, it must be a major repair or habitability problem. This must be something that imperils your health or safety. Absent this, your option is to sue for breach of contract because there is something in the contract which requires the landlord to keep the premises a particular way.

If you decide to contact a Housing inspector, the landlord will likely have 60 days to make the repair (this is shortened based on the type of the repair).

The big issue here, is that it would be hard for you to move. You need to really think long and hard on whether it is worth it to get in a fight with your landlord where you may end up better off financially, but you will ultimately have to look for a different place to live.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please do not forget to provide my service with a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions