Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My landlady filed a notice to quit dated 11/1/15. she has

Customer Question

My landlady filed a notice to quit dated 11/1/15. she has been harassing me with constant texts (now blocked) about when am I moving, paying rent, etc. I got an injuction because she was putting my things in boxes outdoors and insisted I needed to get rid of my stuff...she didn't care how. She has physically blocked my entering the house (it's a house shared by me and 2 21 yr old brats, and herself on and off). I am 62, disabled and broke. She refused to make even one accomodation for my safety. I have been diligently looking for housing but there are long wait lists. With the notice to quit in place, shouldn't I be able to live without all this harassment from her? She has made me physically ill and mentally I am very depressed and afraid to sleep. She has locked me out of the basement where the laundry is (the 21 yr old has a key, not me) I was paid in full until yesterday. Do I have any right to withhold my rent this month? Please...what legal recourse do I have at this point? I am in Randolph.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other thing that bothers me...when we went back to court for the final injunction, she defaulted--no show--and a decision was made in my favor. While i waited for the paperwork, landlady showed up (35 minutes late) and the case was heard again by a different judge (the one who gave me the initial injunction) and overturned in her favor! Isn't that illegal? I feel I was scammed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What state do you reside in?