Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I have an apartment rented with a friend. we both signed the

Customer Question

I have an apartment rented with a friend. we both signed the lease for 1 year but I put my initials on the part that mentions...I will not have parties.....will not have pets etc. BUT WE BOTH SIGNED THE LEASE> The apartment is too noisy for me, my friend wants to stay....I cannot put up with the noise.....no one else is complaining.....question: 1) Can I just leave? 2) since both names are ***** ***** lease do I pay for half of the rent? and 3)how many months....or do I have to pay until we find another person.......
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Since you signed the lease you are liable for the rent until the end of the lease term. You can offset your liability by finding a subtenant acceptable to the landlord to take over your tenancy.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You can also speak to the landlord about a lump sum settlement to limit liability. Perhaps 2 or 3 months.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Just make sure that if you settle you get a release from the landlord.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?