Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

I live in what I consider substandard housing. When I moved

Customer Question

I live in what I consider substandard housing. When I moved in, I transformed the front yard (all it had dirt and poop on top, no plant.) taking my place to be considered a "beautiful yard, nice job landscaping." Upon learning that I beautified his front yard, he proceeded to threaten to evict me. He has threatened to evict me on almost every phone call over the past 3+ years. Black mold, no smoke detectors, electrical system not willing to be worked on by a professional electrician, as he said, "this place is not fit to be worked on it's in such bad shape and I won't risk my license to work on it. Its a fire trap"
No gutters, rats in the house, likely carbon monoxide leak from the ancient gas heater, and finally, we have cockroaches. I'm contacting you today because I just went to make myself some breakfast, opened the refrigerator door, and what do I see? A very LARGE cockroach IN MY REFRIGERATOR!
I have called a professional and they wanted a year long agreement plus 200 down to start, and I just don't have it. I have made a reasonable effort to eradicate these beasts on my own, but everyday the get more bold, bigger and I believe they have caused both my roommate and I to get very sick for several days.
Please help.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Is this a single family house or an apartment? What does your lease say about pest control? Does it say who is responsible for it? Have you had a building inspect inspect the premises?