Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

What is the best way to go about getting out of our lease.

Customer Question

What is the best way to go about getting out of our lease. Long story short maintinance man extorted her for cash to open the door she accidentley locked and now she just cant handle it here. And could that be considered personal injury ?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unless you have a termination clause you have to keep your lease and pay rent according to that lease unless you find a suitable tenant to replace yourself. The landlord cannot "double dip" and charge you rent if they have another tenant paying rent as well. You can also explain your problem to the landlord and the landlord can also let you out of the lease. To answer your question, you can't get out of the lease in this situation in this circumstance without consequences.

As to the personal injury, it sounds as if the landlord was charging you like a locksmith, this is not personal injury without more evidence. This would be a stretch and a very hard argument to make.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my time. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. )

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Any chance for a positive rating?