Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

My husband was admitted to a rehab house after a psychiatric

Customer Question

My husband was admitted to a rehab house after a psychiatric hospitalization. I paid $1150 to get him in. This breaks down to $800/rent, $200 deposit, $150 prorated to end of current month. He signed a contract that he would follow rules of house or he would be asked to leave. After a week, the other residents voted him out and gave him 15 minutes to leave at 10 PM. The money was mine and taken from my debit card. Does the contract he signed supercede normal tenant/landlord laws that would have meant he had to be given 30 days to leave? The house is now telling me that they will not return the money. He is now homeless.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did he violate the rules he agreed to follow? Was there anything in the agreement you signed to get him in there that states he could be evicted as he was?