How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rayanswers Your Own Question
rayanswers, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 38336
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
rayanswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a tenant who is renting out a room wants to leave the

Customer Question

If a tenant who is renting out a room wants to leave the part in a month to month verbal lease, should he/she provide a 30 day written letter about intent to vacate or verbal confirmation is enough?Can a tenant leave anytime or should a notice be given?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.The tenant here is required to give 30 day written notice( one month). This meets his/her legal requirements to terminate the month to month tenancy.Notice should be given here in writing to avoid landlord claiming the security deposit here based on improper notice.

As long as tenant gives 30 days written notice that meets the requirements of a month to month tenant.It gives proper legal notice of intent to end the month to month tenancy once delivered to landlord.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

If less than 30 days written notice is given here landlord can apply security deposit to the 30 days of rent still remaining.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not give a written notice , I verbally told on the start of the month . Also there is no lease that has been signed , it is just a verbal agreement, so can the landlord ask me to pay an extra month of rent since I did not give a written statement
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

You should try to give written confirmation here reflecting that you are confirming that you gave notice back on September...that you would be leaving on the ....and that this confirms your required monthly notice.You should have given written notice but here try to spin it the best you can since you gave it orally here.

Thanks again for the chance to follow up.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions