Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

My name is torie and I had a lease agreement years involving

Customer Question

Hey my name is ***** ***** and I had a lease agreement for two years involving a fully equipped Resteraunt with a couple that failed to comply for 3 months with numerous issues including non payment,damage to property( compressor in a freezer and drink machine which is stated in the contract that they will b responsible for the up keep of all properties in the building). They let the lights and water get terminated and the grass was not cut in two months which iive got proof through texts and several calls which I got no compliance from the tenants. I got copies of texts that prove my attempts over a period of two months with no compliance. Due to the fact of employees having keys to the building I pad locked the business notifying them that I wasn't trying to take anything or force them out only until or if the comply or pay until we go to Court because they deserted the business. I have copies of the texts I sent to the tenant and didn't get a response until they went to the business an witnessed the padlock was present an responded if I don't take it off now they wer going to contact the police which I responded do what y'all got to do. The lease started on April 1st for a term of two years which they only complied for two months. After several verbal agreement s that wasn't complied too numerous attempts to resolve the issue an was forced to take them to Court which the judge didn't really hear me out only that I padlocked the place which was forcing them out the business which was not the case and he wouldn't award me the money for the remainder of the least which was 16000 plus damages they caused to the equipment which was a estimate another 4000 due to that fact. He rulled in my favor for the two months they didnt pay and for me to take the lock off and they have 10 days to vacate and the property is theirs during that time and i couldnt witness or have a sheriff witness them getting their personal property.Do you think the judgement was correct an is it worth me appealing hireing a lawyer for the remainder of the money owed.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

How much rent is involved?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Generally, the decision falls within court discretion and on appeal a court is likely to sustain. The cost of appeal is also a consideration. Consider through counsel threatening an appeal, filing a notice of appeal before perfecting it, and trying to settle saving you time and money. Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
800 a month for a term of two years. And when u say substain u mean likely consider?? The judge informed me that the amount of money in the claim was out the statues of civil court and I informed him that I told the clerk of court that originally but she said it was a civil matter. He originally said he had to speak to a higher authority than himself to see if I needed to get refuned for the civil suit charge and take this to district court. He checked called the case back an said he would go ahead and hear the case which he rendered that verdict
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

On appeal a court often defers to lower court. Would not suggest appeal but rather attempt to settle leveraging potential for appeal. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

awaiting your reply/rating.