MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

We lost a day worth of work because the building next door

Customer Question

we lost a day worth of work because the building next door had an explosion. how can I ask them for lost employee time that our company paid the employees for?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. May I ask in what city and state you are located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
los angeles, ca
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the law does not require you to be compensated for the lost time by the building next door. Can you explain to me why you think they owe you money for your employees? Perhaps I'm not understanding your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
their generator exploded which affected our power for a day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it might be the City's fault
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have a sample "demand" letter
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Even if it was the city's fault, they would not be legally liable for the fact that your employees could not work that day.

What type of demand are you trying to make and to whom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
company ended up paying for 40 employees time. would like to demand payment on that.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can write them a letter but they are not legally required to pay for your employees. Generally speaking, a demand letter is a letter that you write when you have a legal claim against someone. I assume your employees were hourly employees. Is that correct? If yes, then you are only required to pay them for time worked. Why did you pay them if they were not working? I can better assist you when I have all of the facts. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mostly salaried.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

If they are salaried, then they get paid regardless of whether or not they actually worked on that day. Thus, there is nothing for you to be compensated for.