Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have a pontoon boat parked in a slip on Mountain Cove

Customer Question

I have a pontoon boat parked in a slip on Mountain Cove Marina in Sevierville, TN. I have a contract with the marina that runs annually for a cost of $1920. I am selling my boat to someone who expects to pick the boat up by the end of September. My contract runs from July of this year to July of 2016. The owner of the marina is telling me that I will owe her for the three months from July to September of this year, plus an additional 1/2 of the 9 months remaining for a total of $1200. I am wondering if my boat is removed for three years of the 12 month contract, if I am obligated to pay the 1/2 of the remaining 9 months on the contract?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If you are under contract, yes. The terms of the contract are enforceable. So if the contract for the slip does not end until July 2016 and there are no provisions in the contract if you remove your boat as an early release of the contract, then yes, you are still in contract.

I suggest you can try to negotiate a settlement for the remaining months and if not possible sublease the slip, if possible

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you