Steven Kincaid
Steven Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
44472555

I have the refrigerator in storage, but I can get the serial

Customer Question

I have the refrigerator in storage, but I can get the serial number off of it. Would managers be expected to have lists of all the serial numbers of appliances in their units? If they are not missing any with said serial numbers wouldnt that prove I didnt
take theirs?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Steven Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

They wouldn't be required to maintain the serial numbers. But does your refrigerator look like the ones that come with the apartment? You may simply be able to establish that your refrigerator is not the one that would have come with the apartment. If you reminded the manager, might they remember your agreement and stop charging you for the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have changed managers since I first moved in. I did tell the first manager and also the second that it was a mistake on the lease to show I was using their fridge and to please change it. they didn't. I also suggested they check with the maintenance man who would have had to remove the original when I moved in. I haven't heard back.

Well, if this goes to court, you could subpoena the former manager (if you can find him/her) or the maintenance person to testify.