Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

I have a 14 month lease with my landlord that ends October

Customer Question

I have a 14 month lease with my landlord that ends October 26 and the lease requires that I give 60 days advance notice to vacate or renew at lease end. I did not sign the renewal notice because I received and accepted a job offer in another city after I made the selection on the website to renew. I sent an email to the leasing manager saying I would like to work something out because I needed to move but in any event was giving my 60 days notice to vacate. That would mean I cannot get out of lease payments until November 21st. Is this legal for them to require a 60 day notice when everyone else seems to only require 30 days.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Yes. Unfortunately, it is legal for the landlord to require any amount of time of notice for non-renewal and as long as, the tenant did sign the lease agreement with such terms for the non-renewal notice, the tenant would be legally bound by the terms of the lease.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.