LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

Last year in May of 2014 i rented a house when i went to see

Customer Question

Last year in May of 2014 i rented a house when i went to see the house i noticed that it wasn't fixed at all shower heads missing pipes underneath the sink weren't on. very loose windows and a broken gate and a orange wire running from the power box leading into the laundry room. the only thing he replaced the day we moved in was the water heater. and he left his trash in the yard along with other garbage that was already there. he said he would come cleaning it up, but he never did.he did'nt even secure the water heater. now he is slandering my name to other property rental agencies. what can i do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You may want to consider filing suit against this person for Defamation. From a legal standpoint, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm.

1. Slander typically involves an oral (spoken) representation.
2. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as the internet, a magazine or newspaper.

In order to win a defamation case, you must prove the following:

1. A false statement was made about an individual, generally yourself;
  2. The statement was made to a third party;
  3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, (for example if you are a famous person) fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher.
  4. Finally, you must show that you have suffered damages.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug