Steven Kincaid
Steven Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
44472555

Tenant landlord question. I resently broke my lease (1 and

Customer Question

tenant landlord question. I resently broke my lease (1 and 1/2 months early) because an opening in a very desirable HUD housing senior center opened up for me. I face charges for breaking my lease. If I had not acted I would have lost the opportunity to
have my rent reduced from over 50% of my rent to only 1/3% of my rent. I also had my own refrigerator when I moved in. They did not change that on the lease documents. Now they are saying I am responsible for not only the month and 1/2 rental charges on my
remaining rent in the old address, but also for taking their refridgerator. Any advice?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Steven Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

In what state are you? In most states, the landlord has an obligation to make reasonable efforts to re-rent your apartment when you break your lease early. If they are successful, they cannot charge you for the portion of the lease in which the apartment was re-rented. (They can deduct the costs of seeking a new renter, though.) Do you have any evidence that the refrigerator was yours? Witnesses? Receipts?