Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

Jan 2011 the Boys & Girls Club of Copperas Cove entered in

Customer Question

Jan 2011 the Boys & Girls Club of Copperas Cove entered in a5 year contract for a commercial property. in Jan 2015 we where offered a larger place in the school district for free of charge. We vacated the property in Jan. 2015 and as of today we paying for the property we not occupy. The landlord aware of the situation, and his answer is: if I can rent out the building before the lease is up you don't have to pay the remaining rent.
My question is: Anyway we can brake the lease agreement so we don't have to pay the rent?
Thank you
Sandy Vegh
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

First you need to read your lease, if there is a termination clause or anything related to breaking the lease then that would control. If not, you will have to abide by the terms of your lease unless you can convince your landlord to let you out of the lease. The landlord is not doing you any favors by saying that he will let you out if he finds someone else to lease the property. He is legally obligated to let you out of the lease if he rents to another tenant. A landlord cannot "double dip" according to the law and charge rent to you and another tenant. Your only recourse might be to make an agreement with the landlord to try and find a suitable tenant to replace or even to try to sublease the property if your lease allows it. Without any language allowing early termination in the lease, you are obligated to pay through the entire term if the lease unless another tenant is found to replace you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Any chance for a positive rating?