Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I own a rental home in Los Angeles. It had a mold problem in

Customer Question

I own a rental home in Los Angeles. It had a mold problem in January 2015 as a result of a plumbing leak in the kitchen. I had the mold remediated by a professional remediation company and the affected cabinet and floor were completely replaced. The home is now vacant and listed for rent. Must I disclose the previous mold problem if it has been professionally remediated by a professional remediation company?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

As long as the mold problem has been taken care of and the property is now clear of mold, you do not have a duty to report a problem that is no longer present. California's "Toxic Mold Protection Act of 2001" authorizes the state's Department of Health Services (now called the Department of Health Care Services) to set permissible levels of indoor mold exposure for sensitive populations (like children, or people with compromised immune systems or respiratory problems). The California law also allows the DHCS to develop identification and remediation standards for contractors, owners, and landlords and requires landlords to disclose to current and prospective tenants the presence of any known or suspected mold. For a preliminary report on the implementation of the Act, see the DHS 2005 Report to the California Legislature, Implementation of the Toxic Mold Protection Act of 2001.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my time. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

I see you have viewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied .

Is there any chance for a positive rating?