CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I am the landlord, there was a leak to a home that I rent,

Customer Question

I am the landlord, there was a leak to a home that I rent, there is moisture in the home. The leak was fixed, the insurance company is going to inspect the home 9-21. They just texted me saying they are sick and they have bed bugs due to the moisture.
I called the insurance co, but there is no answer since its late. Do I need to put them in a hotel today? this is related to my previous ord#15641393-843
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

While I cannot help you assess whether your tenant's condition is so bad that it warrants a hotel room or not (is the home in a state where it is not currently livable due to the moisture content and/or infestation (and if it is an infestation problem, is the infestation due to your conduct/scope of responsibility or is it due to tenant conduct?). As these are factual determinations that are going to need to be made based on the very specific conditions of the home as opposed to general issues.

I can tell you that your responsibility to the tenants is not conditioned on whether or not your insurance carrier reimburses you for the damage, or how quickly they decide to do so. What this means is that you may have to advance the cost of dealing with this situation and hope that your insurance carrier approves your claim later and fully reimburses you for the damages.