Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs residential & commercial leasing experience.
20355756

I live in Florida. I caused a flood in the home that

Customer Question

I live in Florida. I caused a flood in the home that required costly repairs. (I flushed Clorox wipes down the toilet). I paid for the insurance deductible, and the repairs were only supposed to take 3 weeks, but I've been displaced for 9 weeks now and am paying for a hotel out of my own pocket, even though my landlord had insurance. Am I required to pay pay rent for the months I am displaced as well?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

Typically a landlord will have rent replacement insurance on their properties. Do you know whether or not this insurance was included and is being received by the landlord as part of the insurance claim?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My landlord does have landlord insurance. Originally everyone was going to have to move out of the house, and she told me the insurance company would pay for some people but not everyone. She has a son that lives in the home, and she said he had priority on getting the insurance money. It turned out that we were the only ones who had to move out, and I haven't heard back from her regarding the insurance money.