barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I was looking place with 2 parking spots in Los angeles and

Customer Question

hello I was looking for a place with 2 parking spots in Los angeles and thought i found one. went to go and visited the place and toured the apt. like it so i sign the lease and gave a deposit. after i sign the manager should me the grounds and were my 2 parking spots were. this was on the 12th and wasnt going to move in till the 15th. the 15th came and went to park in my spot and found that my cars wouldnt fit. can i break my lease after 3 days.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Unfortunately, there is no right of rescission in a lease contract unless it specifically states it in the lease. Otherwise, a lease is legally binding as soon as it is signed by the tenant.

.

With that said, you can break the lease, but they could hold you liable for any lost rent until they re-rent the property.

.

So you might want to see if they have any larger spots and if they could change your designated spots due to the issue with your vehicles.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand that but the 2 spots two short for even compact cars and not accessible if the neighbors park in there spots. if they are not there and i park im block end. i feel i was lied to about the parking spots. also i will be blocking the only access to the trash area for the entire complex.

Well you can argue to them that the spots are not practically usable and see if they would assign new spots. But to be honest, it was up to you to check them out prior to signing the lease to see if the assigned spots would work for you or not and then object before you entered into the lease..

.

However, if they are reasonable, and they have other spots available, then they should just assign you new ones..

.

.

thanks