Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I moved out of the rental property in August 2014, the

Customer Question

I moved out of the rental property in August 2014, the property is in Kenosha WI. the land lord would not do a walk through with me. Approximately Sept 2014, the land lord contacted me about repairs that would be needed above what my security deposit would
cover. he did not provide an itemized list of what repairs were needed and the cost. 12 months later he contacts my husband with the list and dollar amount for the repairs. How long does he have after we move out to request money for repairs.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Within 21 days. So, the request is untimely. The deposit must be returned or reason for retention sent to the Tenant within 21 days of the Tenant moving out. For more, See Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (ATCP) Chapter 134 Section 134.06:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/atcp/090/134/06