Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

I am wondering if my living situation fits the definition of

Customer Question

I am wondering if my living situation fits the definition of hostile living environment. My landlord is also my roommate. She and her boyfriend live in the house. They have had many loud, screaming, door-slamming fights, often leaving me wondering if I should call the police. Her boyfriend has called my boyfriend, who is half black, the N-word and has sexually harassed me. I have stopped trying to talk to him, but he will often interject in my conversations to insult me, even from another room. The previous roommate was asked to move out because he didn't get along with my landlord/roommates live-in boyfriend.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but there is no such thing, legally, as a 'hostile living environment'. There is a 'hostile work environment', but there is no similar claim to be made as to where you live. Now, if you feel threatened, you can pursue a restraining order if warranted, but there is no concept of a 'hostile living environment' as far as the law is concerned.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.