barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

If the landlord breaks the lease agreement by letting you

Customer Question

If the landlord breaks the lease agreement by letting you sublease someone they chose to live with you ; isn't that considered breaking the lease agreement and also when they tell you that they will let you out the lease?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

No, it wouldn't be a breach of the lease for the landlord to waive his right to prohibit subleasing. He has the right to prohibit it, but not the obligation. So he can allow it if he chooses, or prohibit it.

.

As for releasing you from the lease, if you have something in writing, then that would be legally binding, but if this was just an oral statement, that is hard to prove if it got to court in a breach of contract action.

.

.

thanks