rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
8534270

I live in Texas and won a judgement against a roommate who

Customer Question

I live in Texas and won a judgement against a roommate who didn't pay their rent to me. I would like to file a writ of garnishment to get money from their bank account. What exactly is needed in order to accomplish this? Do I actually need their bank account
number, or is knowing where they bank enough? I know where they work and where their direct deposit goes to when they get paid. I also know the dates they get paid too.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.You need the bank and the account number here.It has to be specific so the bank will seize the funds and pay you here in Texas.

You can set a debtor exam in the court you got judgment and ask for bank account numbers here and other assets under oath.The only other way to get such information would be if you have credit bureau access to get the account number..

Reference..

GARNISHMENT IN TEXAS

Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Debtor exam is done through interrogatories here and then motion to compel or contempt..

Written interrogatories in aid of a judgment are a set of written questions that the judgment creditor prepares and mails to the judgment debtor.

The purpose of the questions are to collect information about the debtor's financial situation. The goal is finding nonexempt debtor assets that can be seized and then sold by auction to pay the judgment. The judgment creditor can ask any question that may lead to the discovery of nonexempt assets.

The debtor must answer the questions in writing, under oath, within 30 days of receiving the creditor's interrogatories. Failing to reply within the time limit puts the judgment debtor in a position where the court may order answers. Continuing to refuse the answers after a court order, can sometimes result in the judgment debtor being jailed for contempt of court.

Reference..

http://www.judgmentbuy.com/TexasPost-JudgmentDiscovery.html

This would be the next steps to force disclosure so you can proceed to get garnishment.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

I f you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is sincerely ***** *****