Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

My sister signed a lease with her boyfrriend. within 2

Customer Question

my sister signed a lease with her boyfrriend. within 2 months he became verbally abusive and very controlling. i moved her out when he was at work. he calls and texr her over 100 times a day. before we go to police i need to no how to get my sister off the lease. if we go police first he wont pay the rent if he even is. he has a friend staying there. i just want my sister safe and her credit not ruined. apartment complex said he has to take over and he wont cause he wants to control her in anyway he can. i need help before i go police and get a restraining order for her. is there anyway to get her off the lease. she is scared of him he calls all day and night i have to drive her to and from work and she is staying with me so he wont come near her.. please help me get my sister out of this situation. if i go cops first then he will never pay and ruin her credit out of spite..
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

To get her off the lease need landlord consent. If landlord wont consent then need to file in court to get a court order. Court may release her where it is impossible for her to occupy due to abuse rendering the tenancy void. That should be explained to landlord who should accomodate and release her, not wanting to be named in a lawsuit and having to incur fees and time. It can help having a local lawyer speak to landlord about this and get that cooperation.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that is clear, and kindly rate me positively - can still follow up too.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

waiting for your reply, thanks.