Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

My husband passed away in April and s daughter gets the

Customer Question

My husband passed away in April and his daughter gets the house that he had before we got married but my daughter lives in it now she wants her to pay a pet deposit and 1200.00 back rent which my husband only charged her300.00 a month but she wants 600.00 deposit plus 300.00 pet deposit and 600.00 a month for rent and and my husband didn't make her pay a deposit for anything and he told her she could live there for 300.00 a month so what's her rights
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My condolences on your loss. As far as additional costs and expenses, what governs is if your daughter had a written lease or not. If not, going forward the daughter can change the conditions, add a pet fee (with notice), and change the rents. She would have to give at least 30 days notice before additional charges can be pursued. But she could not pursue charges retroactively. As far as the promise made before he died, unless it was in writing, it is not binding on the new owner.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.