Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I am a room mate with the owner of a house. I exchange

Customer Question

I am a room mate with the owner of a house. I exchange cleaning and cooking for rent. The owner has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and his son has changed the locks on the house and won't let me in
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you are a tenant, even if you do not have a lease, you cannot be locked out from the property. This is called a self-help remedy and is highly frowned upon by the court. The son cannot through you out without evicting you. Most states allow for a month to month tenant to have the lease terminated with a months notice. Depending on your states laws, you will be able to sue the landlord for damages. This is not permissible under any state's laws.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

I see you reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not could you positively rate my answer so I can get credit for my work from the site?