MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

I live in California/bay area/.my landlord increases my rent

Customer Question

I live in California/bay area/.my landlord increases my rent $200.00per month evey year. I am not a low income parson. Just avarage middle class. I cannot find the employer who would be willing to give me the rise of $ 200 or even $100 a month. There are no chooses of the cheaper apartments in bay area so Idon't have even options too look for another housing.Can I Sue the landlord for totally lowering my quality of life and being afraid that I will be homeless next time? I can only say I would never do that if there are any choices but since 3 years tenants in this area are left with no options. The supply and demand stories are not true because apartment in the range $3000.00- $5000.00 for some strange reason are always available. Kj
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. Unfortunately, unless you are living in a rent controlled or rent stabilized unit, it is not illegal to raise the rent. Therefore, while you can sue - since anyone can sue in this country - you would not have a valid cause of action.