LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I am a female who live in an apt and my neighbor across the

Customer Question

I am a female who live in an apt and my neighbor across the hall was apparently a drug dealer. The SWAT team bust down his door yesterday and my roommate and I are scared to continue living here because we don't want to end up in harm. I thought this was a safe complex based on the reviews, how do I terminate my lease on these grounds?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

Unfortunately, crime in an apartment complex that is not caused by the management or landlord is not a legal basis to terminate a lease under GA law.

If you leave before the end of the lease, and the landlord places a new tenant in your unity before the end of your lease, that will negate your obligation to pay rent from the day the new paying tenant is in the unit. However, if the unit is not rented out until after your lease ends, then you could be held liable for all the rent through the end of the lease. I am sorry.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are already receiving Social Security and or Supplemental Security Income benefits through direct deposit, then you may change the account the deposit is posted to by calling 1 (800) SSA-1213(1-***-***-****). The representative will be able to assist you in getting the change made to your account.

You may also visit your local social security office and make the change.

If you already are receiving benefits, you can create a My Social Security Online Account and start or change Direct Deposit online. If you don’t already have an account,you can easily create one. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit change bank accounts and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site: http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Please ignore the above post it was intended for another question thread and was accidentally posted to your thread.

If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask them of me.

Doug