Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I signed 2 year lease but want to vacate after one year. My

Customer Question

I signed 2 year lease but want to vacate after one year. My lease was signed by us and the landlord but not witness by anyone. Can I use that for an out. I would be will to stay and pay until they can rent to someone else.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, there is no FL law saying a contract has to be witnessed or even notarized. As long as it was signed by you and landlord, it would be a binding lease. You can seek to sublease the premises, as long as the lease does not prohibit it or you would have to negotiate an early termination of the lease with the landlord upon him finding a new tenant I am afraid.