barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Past couple of weeks I've asked the manager where I live

Customer Question

For the past couple of weeks I've asked the manager where I live that I have a large collection of bees on the eaves of the unit I live in. I am very allergic to insect bites. Besides that, I'm afraid if those bees or wasps get through the wall, they might find themselves in my apartment. They also know that I have a very sick daughter, who lives with me, and that there's over $2000.00 of medical supplies on the other side of that wall. My daughter is in renal failure and has to have dialysis daily. I explained that if they wait until the problem get out of hand, they can't spray insecticides around that area with all the medical equipment and supplies in that room. They still haven't done anything about it. I don't know what to do. That collection of bees or wasps is growing. What can I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

And the bees are outside your actual unit, not inside, correct?

.

Have you send the landlord anything in writing requesting that they come around and spray some insecticide to kill them?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Naples, FL. So far, the bees are outside. I called on Tuesday the main office, and was told that she was going to send a message to the maintenance crew to try to do something ASAP. I spoke to the maintenance man who works here and he said he wasn't told anything and besides he can't so anything about either because he's also allergic to insect bites.

Ok, first you need to document your complaint with the office by putting it in writing. They can deny a phone call. So you can text or email or send them a letter about the condition and how it is potentially dangerous and they are putting you at risk by not addressing it. That puts them on legal notice of the problem and shifts the liability to them if you were injured due to their negligence in not addressing it.. They should act pretty quickly to exterminate them as soon as you document your complaint.

.

The other option would be to go by Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a couple cans of wasp spray ( 2 for $5 and they shoot 27 feet) and then give someone $5 to go up and spray the nests when you and daughter are not around.

.

So a self help measure here might get you faster results without getting into a fight with the management..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks