Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

We currently rent a townhome, and have two dogs who live

Customer Question

We currently rent a townhome, and have two dogs who live with us. We pay $25 every month to have the dogs live here and paid a pet deposit of $200 when we first moved in about three years ago. Our air conditioner broke at the beginning of the summer. We reported it to the property manager and they had an air conditioning company come and look at it. There were apparently holes in it, and the air conditioner company repaired the holes. The air conditioning vendor also told me that my dog was urinating on the air conditioner unit and that we should get it covered. We bought a fence to put around the air conditioner to stop the dog from urinating on it. About a month later the air conditioner broke again. We reported it to the property manager and they had the air conditioner company come out again. They looked at the air conditioner and said it needed a new coil or to be completely replaced due to the dog urinating on it. The management for our townhome then called us and told us that because it is the dogs fault the air conditioner is broken we need to pay half of the cost to replace it. They gave us a paper to sign saying that we are liable for half of the cost which comes out to $950. We have not signed the paper and have looked through our lease which doesn't have a pet clause or a notice saying that renters are responsible for damages produced by pets. I am wondering if we are legally liable for these damages, and if what they are doing is legal? I am also wondering if we should sign the paper they gave us claiming we are liable?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

you should not sign anything assuming liability. That said, if a pet you have causes damage, you would be liable. Best to settle, get a release, but not sign anything assuming liability. Kindly rate me positively.