Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

My term tenant brought bird mites into her unit. She claims

Customer Question

My long term tenant brought bird mites into her unit. She claims it was from a bird nest on a nearby post on the front porch but she has cats that may have propagated them from contact on her rear balcony. Also, she works at a school and may have contracted them from students.
As a general rule am I responsible to reimburse her for washing her clothes, buying insecticide, boarding her cats and paying for a professional extermination services.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. The only way that you could be held responsible for washing her clothes or for the other expenses is if you were negligent and caused the bird mites to spread into her unit or something you did as the landlord (or failed to do) caused the mites to spread into her unit. If she can demonstrate that the bird nest is the source of the mites and you had a responsibility to clear the bird nest, then you could be held responsible; however, the ability of her to prove that is highly doubtful.

Since she would be the one suing you for reimbursement of her expenses, she would have to carry the burden of proof. Sounds like that would not be a possibility.