Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I am the landlord/owner, the rental had a slab leak. Tenant

Customer Question

I am the landlord/owner, the rental had a slab leak. Tenant still has bathroom, sleeping, and kitchen. Laundry not usable. Do I owe monetary compensation for inconvenience?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you can get a signed release from the tenant, it is probably not a bad idea to offer something for the inconvenience of losing the laundry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was able to do laundry, there was no complaint about that (yet). I offered help, it was denied. The rent is low for that house at $1500. mo. If they could not live in the home, I would owe them $50. per day towards lodgings. They had the kitchen, two bedrooms and 2 bathrooms fully usable. I offered help with laundry. No more was said about it.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Then do not bring it up unless they raise the issue. If they do bring it up work out a fair settlement and get a release to cut off any further claims

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not want to pursue this, in this way any longer. It did not tell me anything I did not know, I wanted to know my legal obligations, not about negotiations, although yes, it is good to consider negotiations to stay out of trouble, my plumbing company will stand behind me, stating that the work was done in a very timely manner (10 days demo beginning to end). Thank you again, but the Just Ask business end appears to just want me to pay and pay for more services. No thank you. I cannot tell what I am paying for or if it has ended and a new session is beginning (with more pay) I'm DONE
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Your legal obligation is to provide the services and accomodations promised in the lease. If the tenant is not provided those services and accomodations then they have the right to seek compensation. That is why I am suggesting that if the tenant is willing to settle that claim for a nominal amount you should take it and cut off your liability for future claims by getting a release. I am not trying to ding you for additional fees. I am only trying to to keep this from spiraling into a more costly situation between you and the tenant.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

However, if the tenant has stopped making any demands and is not pursuing this then it would be idiotic to give the claim more life than it already has. Best to let it lie, even though you are in technical breach.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said in effect " ask more without more charges" and then: more charges. What a rip-off on people who are in need of REAL information. I got NO REAL information until I stated that I wanted to know what my LEGAL obligation is in this circumstance, and I had to POINT it out in the dialog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just Answer SUCKS
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

We seem to be having a communication problem. I am not sure you are actually reading my answers. I have given you your legal obligations and exposure to liability.

I do not know what additional charges you are referring to, as I am not originating them. I have responded to all of your follow up questions profesiionally, despite the abusive attitude you are directing at me.

I will opt out so that someone else can assist you. No need to respond.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

different expert here. do you still need an answer and if so what may I answer?