Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can a land lord keep your belongings and through you out he

Customer Question

Can a land lord keep your belongings and through you out for damages he claims to his carpet by a dog urinating on it when he has 3 dogs in the house of his own carpets have been cleaned professionally but claims of smell whitch no one else notices and how do I proceed
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What state does this issue pertain to?

Could you explain a little more?

Did the Landlord lock you out without a Court Order?

Kindly provide proper foundation for your questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Longmont Colorado landlord is my nephew he talked me in to going to truck driving school and said I could stay with him and his wife while I went to school and use his house as a home base until I got reestablished went on the road for six weeks came back he said he had carpet professionally cleaned so he said I want you to give me your rifle to pay for cleaning after he locked it up in his safe left to go on road for 7weeks came back went over to get clothes for daughters wedding he said he can still smell piss in basement it would cost 4500 to replace 400 square feet of carpet and I had to sign over my motorcycle to him and I had to leave. While I stayed with him I installed hard wood floors In his living room and built a 24x30 garage for him and charged no labor in trade for. Staying there

Thank you for the information. However, I still do not understand your post.

Has your nephew kicked you out?

Is he now holding your rifle for payment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he kicked me out and is holding my rifle and motorcycle for payment he has no estimates for damages or receipts

Thank you for the information and I am sorry to read about your ordeal.

Your nephew/Landlord took illegal actions against you. Your Landlord cannot lock you out without a Court Order--without filing for eviction action in Court and obtaining Writ of Possession to remove from the premises. You are considered a Tenant and entitled to all the protections as a Tenant. There is no self-remedy to eviction actions in the State of Colorado.

The Landlord cannot seize your items for security for alleged damages to the premises.

You can file Small Claims for recovery of your items. Click on the link below for Small Claims forms and instructions.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Self_Help/smallclaims/

For Colorado eviction process, click on the link below:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Self_Help/houseevictions/