barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a single family home in Sacramento that is rented to

Customer Question

I have a single family home in Sacramento that is rented to tenants who have been in possession for 8 years. Recently they began parking a car on the front lawn. The lease prohibits this. We have asked them, both verbally and in a letter, to cease parking on the lawn. We just received a notice from County Code Enforcement that we (owners) will be fined many dollars if the vehicle is still there in 15 days.
If the tenant refuses to adhere to this part of their lease, can we have the car towed? (it is operable) My thought is that this will prevent us from having to sue the tenant for any penalties from the County; instead the tenant will bear the direct cost of the tow.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Have you given the tenant a written notice of the violation and threatened to evict them if they don't remove the car?

.

Has Code Enforcement cited a specific law that they are in violation of?

.

Have you contacted Code directly and explained the problem?

.

.

thanks