barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Im a tenant in oklahoma city of an apartment, im leasing

Customer Question

im a tenant in oklahoma city of an apartment, im leasing from a company called tenants in mind. When i moved in, in 2011 the carpet wasnt cleaned and it had damages i was told it would be cleaned and at a later date it would be replaced. The cleaning wasnt done so i had it cleaned myself twice since then. The manager that told me that it would be cleaned and replaced at a later date is no longer here she was fired, i have been thru 4 managers in the almost 5 years i have been here. I have brought this to every managers attention that has come and gone. I talked to the leasing company that owns the property 2-3 weeks ago and she told me that she would see what can be done i explained to her what i was told and that it wasnt fair for me to inherit some one elses mess. I talked to her again this morning and was told that they wasnt going to replace the carpet that i would have to live with it the way it is. I have lived with it like this for 4 years and each manager has told me the same thing that they would see what they could do. I dont think its right for me to have to inherit some one elses screw up i have never been late on my rent i keep my apartment clean have never been wrote up because i broken any rules im a good tenant why should they not replace the carpet that was damage with patches and burn holes in it when i had it cleaned the guy told me that the carpet was so worn down that it wouldnt get any cleaner. My arguement is when i move they will have to replace it to rent the apartment so why not do it now its not right she didnt even come to look at it, but telling me i have to live with it the way it is, is rude and not right. My question is what can i do what are my rights when it comes to a situation like this or do i have any rights at all. Please help me. Thank you for your time tell me what to do.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

First, I agree with you wholeheartedly that they should replace the carpet since you have been such a good tenant..

.

But legally they have no obligation to do so unless it says they will in a written lease or it has become dangerous (like a tripping hazard due to frayed areas). The reason they won't replace it is money....they get no more money from you with new carpet than with old. So them spending $1000 on new carpet only would benefit you, not them. They don't realize any benefit, only cost, so they won't replace it until they absolutely have to...which is when they are trying to lure a new tenant in after you get fed up and move out.

.

It isn't fair or right... but it is how many landlords act. Every day that they can keep a dollar in their pocket instead of spending it is a win for them.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks