LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

My landlord in San Francisco rents out each bedroom

Customer Question

My landlord in San Francisco rents out each bedroom individually. I am moving out and the landlord is threatening to charge me for painting one of the walls in the common area. I would rather not have to take them to court, but when my roommates and I decided to pint the wall, I didn't have a lease and I didn't know painting was an issue. Are they legally allowed to charge me for painting a wall in the living room if they don't intend to repaint when I leave? They also told me I'm not allowed to repaint the wall to avoid any charges.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Actually, your landlord has the legal obligation to allow you to correct the "damage" done, and cannot demand that you not repaint the wall the proper color just so he can collect damage expenses from your deposit.

To establish this right, you will need to ask your landlord to do a walk through of your room and unit with you and based on the inspection, the landlord or agent must prepare an itemized statement of repairs or cleaning that the landlord or agent believes the tenant should perform in order to avoid deductions from the tenant's security deposit.

You must be given the right to repair/paint the wall. Here is a link to the CA law as regards ***** ***** Pay close attention to the section entitled "Initial Inspection Before Tenant Moves Out" which is highlighted in blue on the page. This tells you the landlord's obligations and your rights as you prepare to move out. Print it out and give it to your landlord as well. http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtml

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

The site is telling me that you replied, but no reply posted to this question thread. If you have a follow up question would you please re-post it so i can see it. If you have no additional questions, please be so kind as to rate my service to you.

Thanks in advance,

Doug