Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

My lease is up on October 5th and I gave them 33 days notice

Customer Question

My lease is up on October 5th and I gave them 33 days notice in writing that I would not be renewing my lease. They told me I would be responsible for 60 days, even though this is not an early termination and again, October 5th is the end of my signed lease period. In addition, they told me I was obligated to leave all of my utilities turned on under my name and beyond my lease period until a new occupant moved in and had the utilities transferred. Having been a landlord myself in the past, I expected there would be times of transition when my property would be vacant and I would be responsible for utility cost during those times. In addition, it was always my assumption that, unless told otherwise, usually within 30 days, the tenant would vacate at the end of the lease period. I live in Virginia and was not aware of my rights in this matter
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Is there a notice requirement contained in the written lease?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?