Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I do cleaning and a tenant re us to throw away all

Customer Question

I do cleaning and a tenant hire us to throw away all furniture, trash and so on in the house, except for some black boxes. Next day landlord who did not hire us claim he has items missing and accused us of stealing. This dont make any sense to us.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you were hired by the tenant and the tenant directed you as to what to throw away, then it is the tenant's fault for anything missing as they directed your performance. So you need to notify the landlord you were hired by the tenant and they told you what to remove and you removed everything as they directed and nothing more. Tell the landlord the tenant is liable to them if they told you to remove property they should not have removed.

IF they try to sue you, then the fact the contract was with the tenant and the tenant directed your performance would be grounds for a motion to name the tenant as a third party to the suit and have them held liable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord leaving me messages and sending text, pretty much saying we stole his things and he going to call police. So what should we do from this point on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also seen the landlord didn't hire us, i feel he should be talking to his tenants n sue them if need be. They had some type of agreement of lease going on.

Thank you for your reply.

You need to tell the landlord that he did not hire you and you did only as directed by your client the tenant and any issues they have they need to take up with the tenant and to cease and desist contacting you about this.