barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Our landlord took $250.00 of our 1100.00 deposit dog hair on

Customer Question

Our landlord took $250.00 of our 1100.00 deposit for excessive dog hair on ac coils. We gave the landlord a $250.00 non-refundable pet deposit. Can he take the money from our deposit should he use the money from the pet deposit? Thank you for your time.
Bruce Ullmer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I would agree with you that the additional pet deposit charge should have been used for any pet related damages prior to dipping into your normal deposit. Since hair on the coils is specifically a pet related cleaning cost...which just consists of literally brushing the hair off the coils...then it should come out of any pet deposit.

.

The landlord is trying to gouge you and if you can't get this resolved, I would suggest filing a small claims court case against him for breach of contract and forcing him to come into court and explain how pet cleaning doesn't come out of a pet deposit...

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks